D28614: Add better player tab crash handling

Kai Uwe Broulik noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 6 09:21:00 BST 2020

broulik created this revision.
broulik added reviewers: Plasma, fvogt, cblack.
Herald added a project: Plasma.
broulik requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  There is unfortunately no dedicated signal for this (the process API is for dev builds only), so we can only do:

  - When we detect a tab becoming inaudible, check if it's gone now, and signal player gone. This will catch the case of a tab crashing while playing
  - When sending a command, check if it failed, and signal player gone. Instead of doing nothing, the player will disappear. Not really better UX right there but at least the user will go "huh?" rather than "why is it not working?"

  There's also no error codes on the error object, just sentences...

TEST PLAN
  - Started playing a tab in chrome, killed the process, had the player gone after a few seconds. This heuristic does not work in Firefox where instead I get a navigation to about:blank and back to the original page...
  - Started playing a tab in chrome, paused it, killed the process. Nothing changed. I then clicked Play on media controller, and the player was gone. This also works in Firefox where the error message is identical.

REPOSITORY
  R856 Plasma Browser Integration

AFFECTED FILES
  extension/extension-mpris.js