ddcutil in Plasma Powerdevil

Dorian Vogel dorianvogel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 07:13:55 BST 2019

Hey Jonathan,
Unfortunately I did not test it for a long time (last time was around
5.15), and don't really have the possibility now because I'm away from home.
*If I remember correctly,* back then I had a few instances when the startup
of plasma (during the splashscreen) was quite longer due to retries of the
DDC communication (of course this will not happen if the user does not have
ddcutil itself installed). As I understand it, this is due to the
architecture of Powerdevil, which assumes the monitors are a fixed
configuration as far as brightness is concerned: backends are queried at
startup and never refreshed. This is why enumeration has to happen during
startup of plasma, and one would have to restart powerdevil when connecting
a new DDC capable monitor

Thinking back I wonder if a plasmoid would have been a better way, enabling
to have the enumeration done after startup is finished, and making it
easier to have a "refresh" button, and would still allow to have both an
integrated screen (laptop) and external (for now the backends in powerdevil
are exclusive).

Considering this is my first contribution and I am not sure of the quality,
I think some testing from more experienced devs would be required. I
haven't heard much so far.

Cheers,
*Dorian*

--