D23274: Add "Show intro page" button to System Settings sidebar

Marco Martin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Sep 26 19:21:36 BST 2019

mart added a comment.

  In D23274#538334 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23274#538334>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D23274#538315 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23274#538315>, @mart wrote:
  >
  > > In D23274#537633 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23274#537633>, @ngraham wrote:
  > >
  > > > Yeah I would say so.
  > >

  > > i strongly disagree, it's the opposite of every other kirigami app, and i really want to change it back.
  >

  > But then Kirigami is the opposite of other apps that have their hamburger menus on the right (Dolphin, Firefox, GNOME apps). We need to sort this out.

  I don't think it's an absolute rule for every app, but systemsettings uses the column layout with drill down and toolbars contextual only to the column they are on top of.
  For pages toolbars of applications that use column based navigation, action buttons are on the right, title or a widget that replaces the title (like a search field) is on the left (which, is pretty much the android layout, or chat apps like whatsapp and telegram on any platform)
  I would be hurted already a bit less from that systemsettings layout if that menu button was a ... icon instead, which is then commonly used by such apps.
  For those column based layouts with column-specific toolbars i kinda see an "app-global" menu icon only on the left, i don't think it would ever work on the right at all.
  Also because the pattern is from left column: more generic stuff, and as goes right, more drilled down, narrow-topic content

  Dolphin toolbar i see it more like a different beast, a "global" toolbar that doesn't have anything to do with those context specific ones and has different rules.
  There, is true that probably the menu button in front of the back button would be kinda strange, especially because the most used button is probably indeed, the back button and the menu button just once in a blue moon. (tough for dolphin as well, i think i would prefer a lot the ... as chromium does)

REPOSITORY
  R124 System Settings