D24181: Changing "Paste Without Formatting" in Notes applet to "Paste"

Vladimir Yerilov noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Sep 26 04:03:11 BST 2019

yerilov added a comment.

  @huftis
  Having thought about this I guess I have my attitude towards the default `Ctlr+V` 'Paste' action: it should be without formatting. I can explain why. Notes applet is not an application. The reason it exists is to contain quick notes and tasks, memos, etc. Such text objects may come from various sources with heavy formatting, but Notes //is not// a web page or document processor, it shouldn't default to display potentially //hard to read// text (given the size of the applet) as a result of `Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V` pasting. Being not an application means it can behave differently in some aspects, that's why I find the comparison between this applet and other applications //irrelevant//.
  But not only that. Open Kate pls and try to find "Paste with Formatting" there. Try to paste some text from this page there. You'll see there's no formatting. But Kate is an application, quite powerful one. And //no// formatting.
  From the other side, having an way to paste formatted text is quite a neat option, that's why I guess it's better to have it untouched (I mean no reason to remove it).

  > least surprise.

  Well, try to Ctrl+V your own comment to Notes on 5.16.5 (it defaults to Paste with formatting here). What I see immediately is an ugly white-on-yellow text background which comes w/o no doubt from this page formatting. This is actual surprise for anyone who wants to make memos.

REPOSITORY
  R114 Plasma Addons

BRANCH
  notes-applet-tuning (branched from master)