D24223: [WIP] Add global themes that mimic other platforms workflows

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 25 18:31:16 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D24223#537790 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24223#537790>, @cblack wrote:

  > An application launcher of some sort (besides KRunner) seems to be missing

  The Redmond style has Kickoff.

  The Cupertino style has a stripped down kickoff that only shows power and history items by default. IIRC macOS doesn't have an application launcher of any kind visible by default, just the apps in the Dock and the Applications folder which is also in the dock. The concept of this doesn't really exist outside of macOS though, and I don't think we have a widget that does nothing more than displaying a grid of all installed apps. That's what's needed here.

  > In D24223#537788 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24223#537788>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  >> One thing I'm running into is the need for a panel style that's always hidden until a button in another panel is clicked. Both macOS and Windows 10 have right screen edge sidebars that only appear when a button in one of the default panels is clicked. I like this quite a lot. It's much nicer than having the sidebar panel auto-hide and appear when the screen edge is touched with the cursor. since that leads to tons of accidental activations of a large panel that covers up a lot of the screen--including the window decoration buttons, which breaks your ability to fling the cursor into the top-right corner and click to quickly close a window.
  >

  > I think such a panel type would be nice, but how would adding such a panel work in terms of UX since it inherently relies on something other than itself by design?

  A good question. It could also just be a widget whose expanded form holds other widgets, though that's basically just a panel...

REPOSITORY
  R114 Plasma Addons