Monday meeting notes for 2/9/2019

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 11:42:00 BST 2019

Nicofee:
* Killed the phonon KCM
* Patched Pulseaudio to not load module-device-manager for us
* This means we should be able to use switch-on-connect by default
* Debugged an issue in PA. Profiles that weren't actually useful were
still marked as available. Apparently this is already fixed in master
* Added a bunch of icons to the kicker/kickoff context menu
* Added a bunch of icons to the kicker/kickoff context menu
* Added icons to jumplistactions of Konsole, Falkon and Libreoffice
* Fixed issue with the speaker test in plasma-pa KCM

Kai Uwe:
plasma-browser-integration:
 * Did a new release \o/
     * https://blog.broulik.de/2019/08/plasma-browser-integration-1-6/
     * and a 1.6.1 hotfix two days later :D
     * Uses KCrash now. You get DrKonqi when the native host crashes
 Notifications:
 * Did some testing and research on KDE Connect's notification sync,
now that I have a phone that supports it :)
     * Only apps with the same "origin" are grouped together now
 Plasma:
 * KSplash is delayed until wallpaper has loaded now
 * Changing color scheme no longer reloads KWin configuration
     * Makes the transition a lot less jarring. Didn't see why that
would still be neccessary with KDecoration2
 * Implemented JobViewV3, a new job view API using variant maps
instead of dozens of methods
     * Implementation in KIO/KJobWidgets pending
 Other:
 * KFilePlacesView uses asynchronous KIO::FileSystemFreeSpaceJob for
"free space" overlay in file dialog
 * Windows thumbnails (EXE, ICO, CUR) are now cached
     * I don't see where they should be trated differently than any
other image. It's not like they're changing on their own
 * Dolphin's status bar doesn't erroneously show "Sorting..." while
it's actually still loading the directory
 * Made BlueDevil's discovery page use KBusyIndicatorWidget instead of
KPixmapSequence
 Please review: D23145 D22569
    Diff 23145 "[Exe Thumbnailer] Match 16 bit executables and don't
request icon types wrestool cannot handle" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D23145
    Diff 22569 "[Dialog] Apply window type after changing flags"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D22569

Roman:
* I put up my patch series for output duplication. See for example
here: https://phabricator.kde.org/D23666
    Diff 23666 "[kcm] Provide graphical interface to replicate
outputs" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23666
* That's a big change and I think it can generate quite some buzz if
we announce it correctly.
* For that I would like us to make an effort to still get it in 5.17.
* Take a look at the video to see how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j__FJZK-A-0
* There is one patch which has priority because of frameworks release:
https://phabricator.kde.org/D23619
    Diff 23619 "Introduce cloning and replication of output devices"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23619

Arjen:
**KSysGuard**
* Process plugins and network plugin still pending, but stuff is
happening there.
* Landed https://phabricator.kde.org/D23566 which is a first step to a
QML plugin for KSysGuard.
**Kirigami**
* Some work on making sure that PrivateActionToolButton behaves
correctly with menus (https://phabricator.kde.org/D23463)
* Uncovered a bug that caused the entire page context menu not to show
up, already fixed (https://phabricator.kde.org/D23499)
* Use PrivateActionToolButton for overflow menu button, could use a
re-review on this one. (https://phabricator.kde.org/D23502)
* Display icons for submenus in overflow menu and other action menus.
(https://phabricator.kde.org/D23501)
**Other**
* Did some reviewing of Leinir's KNewStuffQuick work.
* Sent a mail about Quick Charts to framworks-devel and core-devel just now.

Leinir:
* I did that thing where i posted the thing for review :)
https://phabricator.kde.org/D21721
    Diff 21721 "Bring KNewStuffQuick to feature parity with
KNewStuff(Widgets)" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D21721

Jonathan:
* Plasma 5.16.5 is tomorrow, get your final bug fixes in!
* Repo freeze for 5,17 is on thursday, no new dependencies or git
repos added after that
* I'm aware of one new repo, plasma-thunderbolt
* Reminder to add new features and noteable bugfixes to the 5.17
announce notes page https://notes.kde.org/p/plasma_5_17

Marco:
# Plasma
* fixing bugs on the new applet layout manager, unhearted by its usage
in the plasma mobile homescreen
# Plasma mobile
* made saving and loading launcher positions work correctly
* Auto scrolling while dragging icons around
* in general, polishing, polishing polishing to make it ready to
drop-in replace the current phone homescreen
* Testing on the phone and debugging problems that happen there too
(still a misterious phone-specific crash remaining)