Notes from 5.18 kickoff meeting

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Oct 30 16:47:08 GMT 2019

apol, nate, veggero, romang, fvogt, gb_2, bhushan, veqz, ahiemstra,
nicofee, notmart, kbroulik, leinir

Discuss VDG priorities: Breeze theme evolution
https://phabricator.kde.org/T10891.  also (Re)define modes when editing
panels and widgets,
Discuss themes being installed by default
Discussed 5.17.  There were some regressions and crashers.  kscreen
refactor added to this.
We pondered restricting features and refactors but decided not to.  David
says he's up for a feature freeze for the next LTS.

We should find ways to help people test betas, we often start getting bug
reports the day plasma gets released
We are happy with the schedule, freeze and beta mid-january, release feb
11th

We will support Qt 5.12 and 5.13
Soft feature freeze at same time as repo freeze, no 'take the piss new
features' after this [action jriddell]

share.kde.org doc to be made for 5.18 pronto [action bshah]
Announce to get written for beta, any rewrite for final will be blocked.
Dot story just a copy+paste of the final announce.
Web stats show beta announce more read than the final one

Reviewed some old Workboard items

New Workboard items..
 plasma-nano and plasma-phone-components to be part of release but
announced separately and not part of the Plasma desktop or the LTS [action
jriddell]
 to be moved to kdereview [action bshah]
  output rotation is certainly a TODO item for 5.18
  ksysguard work by d_ed
  DRM
  apol: regarding kwin, I also have a poc for for stylus but it's not
working that well yet, definitely not blocking anyway
  ddcutil needs cmake fixes, bshah wants pinged with it