Weather applet/dataengine: passing on maintainer baton

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Oct 21 23:42:01 BST 2019

Hi,

3 and 1/2 years after I adopted the code for the weather applet in kdeplasma-
addons and the respective weather dataengine in plasma-workspace, to make it
live on in Plasma5 era instead of being moved into the attic*, I feel there
are too many other things now which have more of my interest, and I am
slacking in giving the attention when needed, as I could just again see with
the windy conditions icons patches.

* https://frinring.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/will-the-addons-weather-widget-be-revived-for-plasma-5-6/

This includes also any WIP patches of mine to add multi-city support, some
integration with krunner, integration with the Plasma calendar, a general
environment/weather report demon or a revival of a Plasma weather wallpaper,
which have been bitrotting for > 1 year now, with all forecast models
delivering a 0.0 % chance of any activity in the near future.

I think I am leaving the code in good shape (modern, simple code base, with
some documentation added, only a few bug reports open*), so it will not fall
apart the next minute after I turned my back. Besides, I sense there are other
people around to look after it some more now with me no longer standing by
(and perhaps even in the way).

* https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?
bug_status=__open__&component=Weather&list_id=1672869&product=plasmashell
(though I remember some more open?)

So hereby I drop the (in-official) maintainer bacon into the hands of Plasma
release managers, so they can pass it on as needed/wanted.
Thanks also all for the support I had while working on the applet & dataengine
code, I never felt alone or lost.

Cheers
Friedrich