D14796: Port Keyboard input modules and Expand scope to cover input method configuration

Vladimir Yerilov noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 16 04:35:43 BST 2019

yerilov added a comment.

  Thanks @apol
  I've built it from your branch and testing it now. Here is a list of issues I have faced so far:

  1. Layout switch doesn't work on Lock screen. Visually layouts are shown as switched, but actually it's always English.
  2. I have 3 layouts: EurKey, Russian and Mozc (fcitx). All work fine except for normal layouts are not indicated in tray with their respective names (ru, eu). When switching to Mozc, it's icon shows up as expected.
  3. Switching laouts with "Main shift key" (like Alt+Shift or Win+Space) only works for ru<->eu, mozc isn't triggered, although "Cycle through layouts" shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+K as by default) allows switching to Mozc.
  4. This is of course more of design thing but adding new layout is such a pain now: the dialog window is small, list area inside is tiny, searching for "Russian" shows huge amount of possible variants and to find and select a needed one is not a simple task, given the fact that the scrollbar is small and navigation with keyboard arrow keys is not possible.
  5. Each layout in Keyboard kcm has its settings invoked by "Configure" button, but when trying to configure Mozc this way its dialog appears blank, then entire systemsettings5 segfaults:

    $ systemsettings5
    Icon theme "elementary" not found.
    Icon theme "elementary" not found.
    QVariant(FcitxQtInputMethodItemList, )
    Icon theme "elementary" not found.
    "grp" "Switching to another layout"
    "lv3" "Key to choose the 3rd level"
    QQmlExpression: Expression file:///home/openm/kde/usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_keyboard/contents/ui/Layouts.qml:187:13 depends on non-NOTIFYable properties:
        LayoutConfigModel::thirdLevelShortcutModel
    QQmlExpression: Expression file:///home/openm/kde/usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_keyboard/contents/ui/Layouts.qml:173:13 depends on non-NOTIFYable properties:
        LayoutConfigModel::mainShiftKeyModel
    "Keyboard model \"\" not detected"
    file:///home/openm/kde/usr/lib/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/templates/InlineMessage.qml:136: TypeError: Value is undefined and could not be converted to an object
    file:///home/openm/kde/usr/lib/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/PageRowGlobalToolBarUI.qml:71: TypeError: Cannot read property 'actions' of null
    file:///home/openm/kde/usr/lib/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/templates/AbstractApplicationHeader.qml:46:5: Unable to assign QQuickItem_QML_136 to Page_QMLTYPE_28
    file:///home/openm/kde/usr/lib/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/BreadcrumbControl.qml:71:21: Unable to assign QQuickItem_QML_136 to Page_QMLTYPE_28
    QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
    kcm_touchpad: Using X11 backend
    QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
    qml: Touchpad configuration of device '1 : ETD2303:00 04F3:3083 Touchpad' opened
    "eu" false ""
    "ru" false ""
    "fcitx:mozc" false ""
    "1 instead of 2 arguments to message {The input support fo...} supplied before conversion."
    "eu"
    0
    Cannot open config description file
    Cannot open config description file
    fish: “systemsettings5” terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Address boundary error)

  In order to have fcitx working I used to have .pam_environment with the following content:

    XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
    GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
    QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
    DefaultIMModule=fcitx

  I don't know if I still need it.

  My overall impression is there's lot of things to polish but in general this is a //huge// step in the right direction.
  I am ready to test it anytime.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop