D24635: feedback kcm: Improve wording and presentation of the user feedback settings

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 15 20:01:58 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D24635#547168 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24635#547168>, @apol wrote:

  > In D24635#547136 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24635#547136>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Thanks. Can we just surface that then? We'd show a UI for the global on/off switch and than additionally allow turning telemetry on or off for apps and Plasma. That seems like it might be less confusing than coming up with an abstraction surrounding it.
  >

  > That's exactly what we are doing right now.
  >  We probably need better wording for it.

  Ok, just tried this out. The problem is that the global on/off switch that's presented to the user is still reversed from what it should be: instead of saying, "forbid KDE software from bla bla bla", it should say "allow KDE software to bla bla bla". Otherwise the user looks at the unchecked checkbox and wonders, "is KDE software able to send information unless I check this?" And it's a valid concern because apparently that is in fact possible.

  IMO we need to make the global killswitch be on by default (so all telemetry is forced off, which is what I thought we'd all agreed to). If we do that, then it's actually safe to have apps and Plasma turn telemetry on by default, because the global killswitch will be overriding them. And then when a user enables telemetry in this KCM, the global killswitch turns off and then apps and Plasma will instantly start sending information.

  Does that make any sense?

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace