D24265: support global edit mode

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 9 16:42:29 BST 2019

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  Hmm, I have some UX concerns here after trying it out:

  If I invoke Present Windows to see the desktop so that I can right-click on it to enter edit mode, when I exit the mode, all the windows return again unexpectedly. Exiting edit mode should only restore the windows if the Present Windows effect was invoked by entering edit more, not if it was already invoked manually by the user

  While in Edit mode, if I click on the desktop, it exits edit mode. This feels very unnatural and I find myself accidentally exiting the mode a lot. I think it makes sense to automatically exit the mode when another application is focused, but not the Plasma desktop itself.

  If we're eventually going to hide the "Lock Widgets" functionality from the context menu, we need to remove it from the toolbox as well, or else you can enter edit mode, lock widgets, and be unable to re-enter edit mode because the menu item to do it is disabled when widgets are locked (maybe this should be in another patch though?)

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop