Monday meeting notes for 7/10/2019

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 12:11:35 BST 2019

Kai Uwe
* Been on vacation last week, before that:
* Rewrote widget style KCM as GridViewKCM, please review D24361
    Diff 24361 "[Style KCM] Port to new design" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24361
* Make qqc2-desktop-style listen to application style changing D24425
    Diff 24425 "Listen to the application style changing" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D24425
* Add some error reporting for when QML KCM fails to load: D24429 D24430
    Diff 24429 "[ConfigModule] Expose mainUi component status and
error string" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D24429
    Diff 24430 "[KCModuleLoader] Show error when QML fails to load"
[Accepted] https://phabricator.kde.org/D24430
* Restore cursor thumbnailer: D24431
    Diff 24431 "Restore cursor thumbnailer" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24431
* Per-origin media controls blacklist, please review D24194
    Diff 24194 "Add per-origin media controls blacklist" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D24194
* Wrote a blog post on this year's Akademy, got published just now
https://blog.broulik.de/2019/10/akademy-2019-in-milan/

David
* I merged a new framework into kwin for showing QtQuick into effects
in a more convenient manner
and it'll allow the effect to render parts on top of windows or on top
of the whole scene
* without creating real windows that then mess up other effects
* generally will be all amazing
* that's mostly it on the plasma side
* I've started helping out on the KIO Fuse stuff to help push that
forwards a bit

Nico Fe
* watched a XDC talk by the libinput maintainer. He talked about "user
devices" and I wondered if we can use that for KDE Connect. Dropped
him an email, he says he's not sure, probably a wayland protocol is
the way to go
* Fixed some DB issues in Koko
* Investigated why Koko on Android doesn't find images. TL;DR KIO
doesn't work on Android even without forking slaves
* Also KDirModel has some widget stuff so you'll get ugly error boxes
Task 11821 "Move KDirModel to KioCore" [Open,Needs Triage] {KF6}
https://phabricator.kde.org/T11821
* Added a plugin system to KCalendarCore, which allows services to
provide and apps to consume calendar data
    Diff 24443 "Add a plugin system" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24443
    reference impl in Calindori
https://invent.kde.org/kde/calindori/merge_requests/37
For review: D24046 "Allow triggering sort from QML" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24046
* Worked on a Android backend for KPeople. Allows plasma-phonebook to
show Android contact. Painfully slow ATM, but I have ideas for
improvement
* Random improvements for plasma-phonebook
* Found some visual weirdness that only happens with material style

Bhushan
- Blogged: https://www.plasma-mobile.org/2019/10/04/Plasma-Mobile-Weekly-update-1.html
 received quite well
- Worked on fixing telephony here and there
- Testing shell changes done by Marco

Arjen
* right, so the opensuse security team found a few issues with the
network helper I introduced for ksysguard's per-process networking
info
* I created https://phabricator.kde.org/D24359 to fix them
   Diff 24359 "Fix a number of issues found by the OpenSuse security
team in networkhelper" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24359
* if someone can review that before 5.17 is tagged that'd be nice :)
* I'm also working on some kirigami things, but nothing posted yet so
that's for next week :)

Jonathan
tags and tars for 5.17 on Thursday
release the following tuesday
on't be late!

Aleix
* I looked into ibus + plasma integration a bit, because we wanted a
way to enter emoji for users, I sent a couple of patches in this
regard, all in except for the important one
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24454
    Diff 24454 "Include an emoji picker" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24454
* I also merged the kuserfeedback bit last week I think, there's some
more work upcoming, including a blog post I'd like to publish this
week on the subject
* it could well use revision and extension, also it needs to be
considered from the kuserfeedback server altogether
* also shout out to plasma hackers, especially those using and testing
wayland, I'd recommend adopting ibus right now as text input method
* it works much better and will allow us to polish a ton of things
which are really necessary

Marco
# Plasma
* more work on the edit mode patches D24263 D24264 and D24265 should
be ready to land, please review
# Kirigami
* PageRow better horizontal flicking behavior
* Finalized PagePool, (Kirigami 2.11 import version)
* make scrollview frames follow the margins from QStyle
* done a patch for BUG 411758, caused a bad regression, reverted just
before tagging (phew:)
* PagePool always caches the latest page created
# Plasma Mobile
* fixed a bug that made a mess in the top panel
* started a refactor of the top panel to make it beautiful, but most
important, simpler code, more robust and less error prone

--
Marco Martin