D24321: [KCM] Scale more coarsely with the slider, but more finely with a semi-hidden spinbox

Christoph Cullmann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 1 05:59:25 BST 2019

cullmann added a comment.

  Hi, I thought about this a bit more ;)

  I really think we shall limit the minimal increase to 0.25, without any advanced field. Perhaps the range should be larger, like 1-4, if some people get "really" high DPI screens.

  Rational:

  1. For small 0.1 changes: Just change your font size, we did that always for the old non-hidpi world were displays did differ a bit in the DPI, that works without any glitches

  2. Anything below 0.25 will just break half of our applications. For KTextEditor I did some hack in master that might avoid artifacts if you only scale with stuff like .25 or .5, it will still break with small stuff and most of our applications look horrible with small scalings, look at attached screenshot fo 1.1, do we really want to advertise that?

  F7481758: screenshot.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7481758>

  Qt 5.14 will even have "opt-out" of fractional scaling and perhaps we even need to do that for some applications...

REPOSITORY
  R104 KScreen