D17372: [componentchooser KCM] Make KIO browser option the fallback only and remove from the UI

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri May 31 18:49:07 BST 2019

dfaure requested changes to this revision.
dfaure added a comment.

  I agree that we shouldn't remove the underlying feature, in fact it's still used on other protocols than http.

  But we have to ensure the default behaviour matches the KCM and vice-versa, for http.

INLINE COMMENTS

> componentchooserbrowser.cpp:68
> +        if (browserCombo->count() > 0) {
> +            const QString &storageId = browserCombo->currentData().toString();
> +            m_browserService = KService::serviceByStorageId(storageId);

This will lead to rather confusing user experience, btw.

On a freshly installed system [without distro hacks], BrowserApplication is empty.
In practice that means KRun::setEnableExternalBrowser will pick the entry x-scheme-handler/https in the user's mimeapps.list, if any. And if that isn't set either, then well, the current behaviour in KRun, AFAICS, *will* be to use KIO to find out the mimetype.

Then the user opens this KCM, and it says "your default browser is firefox" (or whichever is first in the list). "What?" says the user... "that's not what I'm experiencing..."

If you want to change the default behaviour, you need to actually change the default behaviour (in KRun), not just what the KCM shows by default.

The default behaviour of KRun and the default settings shown by this KCM have to match.

This investigation shows that this is already buggy before this patch (the fallback to x-scheme-handler/https in the user's mimeapps.list is missing here), but this patch makes it much worse, as is.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop