D21082: Fix lid open/closed configurations

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri May 10 16:47:05 BST 2019

romangg added a comment.

  So your goal is to support the following use case: User wants to set different screens properties (for example positions) on the same screen arrangement for when the lid is closed and when it is opened.

  Correct? Had the lidOpenend mechanic this goal from the beginning or is this a new feature? To my understanding the lidOpenend mechanic does the following at the moment:

  1. Disable the internal display on closing the lid and reenable it when the lid is opened again.
  2. Restore displays values active, which were active, before the lid was closed when the lid is opened again.

  Function 2. is questionable. What if I move my external screens around while the lid is closed? Why should this become different for when the lid is opened again? With this logic the same holds the other way around. Why should the display positions of external screens become different just when I close the lid? It would make more sense to keep these display positions consistent independently of lid closed/opened and just reinsert the internal screen at a sensible / the old position. Can you explain why, as described in your test plan, it is sensible to have different display positions of external monitors for when having the lid opened and closed?

REPOSITORY
  R104 KScreen