D21013: [PanelView] remove outdated hack to support mask without compositing

Michail Vourlakos noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat May 4 13:41:53 BST 2019

mvourlakos added a subscriber: davidedmundson.
mvourlakos added a comment.

  In D21013#460745 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21013#460745>, @kossebau wrote:

  > In D21013#460743 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21013#460743>, @mvourlakos wrote:
  >
  > > @kossebau one information please, with this set of paches the svg mask is also applied and in COMPOSITING state for the panels?
  >

  > Yes. As in: at least most of the time as there are still some propagation bugs in the property chain to be uncovered and fixed. At least things work properly here after a clean plasma start with a clean cache.
  >
  > For compositing my reference here is the Oxygen Plasma Theme with the rounded panel corners.
  >  One can also try my special background test theme, which points issues out clearly: https://share.kde.org/s/6zJZg8RiEReFbfA

  This behavior now probably breaks a bit the Plasma PopUp  placement, the code of reason may be:
  https://github.com/KDE/plasma-framework/blob/master/src/plasmaquick/dialog.cpp#L902

  The addition for **outsideParentWindow** necessity was done by me in order to find a way to place popups properly for a DOCK case (e.g. Latte).
  The assumption of the referenced code is that Plasma panels under COMPOSITING mode are not using the QWindow:mask() . That assumption
  now ends and that creates two questions:

  1. How Plasma PopUps should be placed correctly when the window sets a mask?
  2. Will there be any way for Plasma popups to be placed independently of Window geometry OR Window:mask() ? For example based on

  the item that triggered the popup event

  Some early approach could be: https://phabricator.kde.org/D15821 that provides a way to limit the popup based on the mask() and not just the window::geometry()

  @davidedmundson had an opinion in the past that this should be fixed properly in the feature by giving a way for the popup to know when it
  functions in Plasma::PanelView or a Dock and as such to behave differently

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace