D19822: [Task Manager] Toggle mute when the audio indicator is clicked

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 27 12:18:14 GMT 2019

hein requested changes to this revision.
hein added a comment.

  > This is a specious argument.

  No, it's not. Trivial options have a lot of cost attached to them: They make a UI noisier and more intimidating, and therefore less appealing. They also make it less effective by making it harder to find what you're looking for, as you have to scan through more options. They also introduce additional codepath and states, increasing the maintenance burden and complicating user support ("is your configuration X or Y?").

  Moreoever, adding options like this is almost always lazy and unloading a burden on the user instead of designing a UI that does the right thing and doesn't need the option.

  Options have to be earned.

  My take is this:

  - If the danger of users clicking the indicator accidentally and getting upset by it is high, this is a bad feature and shouldn't go in.
  - If the danger isn't actually that high, there's no need for an option.

  A possible improvement to make here is to make the indicator visually react to hover by recoloring the icon, to teach that it's seperately interactive and will do something different than clicking elsewhere on the task button, so users get habituated not to click it accidentally. This should probably be done anyway (we're usally pretty triggerhappy on the hover feedback).

  > As for the checkbox, I think it's only a matter of are we going to add it now or after someone opens up a bug report.

  No, if that bug report comes and comes repeatedly, we know it's a bad feature and drop it again.

  > Chrome BTW even totally nuked the flag: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/9hi48g/the_ability_to_mute_a_tab_that_is_currently/e6clssr/

  According to the linked discussion, Chrome is nuking the entire feature - it's not about the indicator being clickable. And they're doing it for unrelated reasons that are mostly strategic to the web platform and don't concern us here.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop