D19605: Sharpen ApplicationMenu, Shade, ContextHelp icons

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Mar 12 17:04:35 GMT 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  In D19605#429711 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19605#429711>, @ngraham wrote:

  > I think I agree that it's much better to improve things universally if we can. But if we can't, then improving things for the default settings is good too.
  >
  > @ndavis, how well tested is this? We can't land this if it causes any regressions. I didn't spot any with a few font & size combinations but let's make sure we test extensively.
  >
  > Also, I'd like some comments added to the code to indicate why we're using floating-point values for these.

  It's not that well tested, but I've seen enough to know that this will still be a slight improvement for most users.

  As I've said in a previous comment, smaller button/font size combinations suffer. I justified it by saying that resolutions below 1366x768 were rare these days. Larger button/font size combinations are OK because the lines get thicker, but with the git master version or with this patch, it won't be perfect.

  I also said that the current approach does not allow much flexibility. One size does not fit all, so any change will improve some things and make other things worse. I chose to make the defaults better.

  The easiest way to get sharp icons at all sizes would be to create multiple fixed sizes, but I don't know how to do that. Currently, an icon is defined at one size. I assume the button size settings scale things relative to the font size. For example, Very Large with 10pt Noto Sans is much larger than Very Large with 6pt Noto Sans.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze