D19678: Feature: Add an option to adjust screen brightness by quadratic curve instead of linear when using brightness keys

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 11 20:56:44 GMT 2019

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a subscriber: thsurrel.
ngraham added a comment.

  -1 for making this user-configurable, sorry. The brightness curve is an implementation detail and I don't think exposing it to the user makes sense. With a string like "Use quadratic curve for brightness keys:", that's just gonna confuse users. Most Regular Peopleā„¢ don't even know what the word "quadratic" means.

  I would support improving the curve without making it user-configurable. //However:// the last time someone proposed this in D13095: Scren brightness follow a quatratic progression <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13095> it ran into a problem where for certain screens (including mine), two keypresses were required to get the backlight to turn on again after reducing the brightness to the lowest level. If you can solve that, then I'll be happy. :) Maybe you and @thsurrel can put your heads together and figure out a solution!