D19606: [Task Manager] Reorganize and improve presentation of context menu

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 11 04:35:19 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D19606#428236 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19606#428236>, @hein wrote:

  > I'm concerned that having title labels on everything could be overdoing it a bit? It makes the context menu very large and have a lot of dead space, and adds to the noise. Isn't that rather a detriment to utility on repeated use? It's sometimes important to remember new users don't stay new users for very long, and first-time use isn't the only experience to optimize for.

  Yeah, I do understand the criticism that this makes it really tall. Originally I had the three-item Task Manager section in a sub-menu, saving two slots. But it didn't look and feel as good in the end. Ultimately I'd like to see us put some more work into defining just when Widgets should actually be configurable and replaceable, because the three-mode system we have right now is kind of awkward. See T10190: (Re)define modes when editing panels and widgets <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10190>.

  That said, I really like the logical separation between sections that this patch produces and I'd like to keep that.

  > Also, I do get a lot of user reports every time the window title bar menu and the task context menu diverge. Personally I've never felt that they need to match because tasks aren't windpw title bars, but it's worth keeping in mind.

  I can submit a patch to make it as close as possible if and when this lands (well, the parts of it that are duplicated here, that is).

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop