D21668: Modernize and redesign the Night Color config window

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jun 12 23:07:01 BST 2019

filipf added a comment.

  Thanks for having a look guys :)

  In D21668#478879 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21668#478879>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Much better! Is there a reason why we need a ColumnLayout to hold those two FormLayouts in `main.qml`? Could all the stuff in the second one just go into the first one instead? Then you could get rid of the Columnlayout entirely

  That's what I wanted to do in the first place and was the first version I posted here, but it resulted in big binding loop issues and twinFormLayouts of loader forms failing to achieve alignment with the main one.

  There's still some points of improvement here I think:

  - child form layouts are only interlinked with the main one, but not vice versa -> the odds aren't big, but should there be any language where the labels in child layouts are longer that the ones in the main one, it will mess up the alignment
  - old bug: the times in the Locations mode should automatically be updated upon entering new coordinates (right now it only does so when switching modes)
  - kcm doesn't have the totally left aligned form layout mode when you shrink the window -> might be because of the SimpleKCM wrapper, not sure

  Fixing those things might come a lot easier to someone with more experience, but I'll keep them in mind for when I have more free time.

  For now I'll land this as I think the UI is in dire need of improvement!

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

BRANCH
  modernize-redesign-nightcolor-config (branched from master)