D13095: Scren brightness follow a quatratic progression

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jun 2 22:06:52 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D13095#472946 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13095#472946>, @kjslag wrote:

  > In D13095#467997 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13095#467997>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Moving the brightness to zero is supposed to turn the //backlight// off, not the //screen// right?
  >

  > I don't see why. It seems better to put the screen into a low energy mode than to just turn off the backlight in order to save more watts. It also seems strange for the brightness slider to go all the way down to zero brightness. Do any other desktop environments or operating systems do that?

  On macOS, it turns the backlight off but keeps the screen on. But yeah, I can see how this isn't exactly very useful. I think I'm okay with the bottom level turning off the screen entirely.

  > In D13095#467733 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13095#467733>, @kjslag wrote:
  >
  >> In order to deal with Nate's problem, perhaps instead of starting with brightness=0, we could just start with the next increment of brightness, which happens to be 2 for Nate. Nate's situation would be similar to before the patch was applied: only the lowest brightness setting turns off his screen. So there wouldn't be a regression for Nate.
  >

  > Are there still any objections to this solution?

  Well it's not me that matters; it's all the other people with weird screens like mine, as well as the prople whose screens don't do this. We need to wither come up with a solution that works for everyone, or else mark some class of screen as misconfigured so we can tell those people to file kernel bugs.

REPOSITORY
  R122 Powerdevil