D22631: Perform registering of dynamically-added players in all cases when media controls are enabled, thereby making basic SoundCloud support work

Radoslav Georgiev noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 23 20:21:39 BST 2019

rgeorgiev planned changes to this revision.
rgeorgiev added a comment.

  In D22631#499815 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22631#499815>, @broulik wrote:

  > I'm confused - what does this change? There's no context, so I can't tell where it's being moved to. Soundcloud works fine here. You might want to enable "Enhanced Media Controls" in settings.

  Well, the reason why I made these changes is that in my understanding, the enabling of the **Media Controls** option should ensure the basic functioning of media controls for all sites (even if the **Enhanced Media Controls** option is disabled, which currently breaks SoundCloud support).  That's why I decided to move the logic which detects media player (i.e.  `audio` or `video`) elements being added to the page after its loading from the `loadMediaSessionsShim` function (which is executed only if the **Enhanced Media Controls** option is enabled) to the `loadMpris` function (which is executed if the **Media Controls** option is enabled).

  To clear any misunderstanding on my side, what's the exact purpose of the **Enhanced Media Controls** option?  I thought that the idea behind it is to toggle the displaying of the metadata and the thumbnail for the currently playing media.