D22627: Add a GUI option for choosing the input method

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 22 14:48:37 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D22627#499798 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22627#499798>, @filipf wrote:

  > In D22627#499699 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22627#499699>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Also these hardcoded values make me feel a little leery. Is there a way we can programmatically generate them or get them from SDDM or something?
  >

  > Not that I know of. The only time they're mentioned in the SDDM codebase is in this documentation file: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/blob/develop/data/man/sddm.conf.rst.in

  Okay, that's fine.

  In D22627#499798 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22627#499798>, @filipf wrote:

  > In D22627#499699 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22627#499699>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Why is there a blank entry?
  >

  > The blank entry is sort of the whole point of the option. The way to fix the virtual keyboard popping up on its own with some themes is to leave InputMethod empty:
  >
  > https://github.com/MarianArlt/sddm-sugar-light/issues/2#issuecomment-439741458
  >  https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/7lk2bs/onscreen_keyboard_on_sddm/

  So maybe this entry should be called "System Default" or something then? Having an empty entry in the combobox is just a really weird UI. Also, I feel like the mapping between this UI and the actual bug is not very clear. If the purpose is to work around that bug, IMO the UI should reflect that. If on the other hand the feature has more general utility, then the UI should make more clear just what it is and does, while somehow including a connection to the worked-around bug.

  Does that make sense?

REPOSITORY
  R123 SDDM Configuration Panel (KCM)