how about a developer KCM

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Jul 19 12:30:16 BST 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 4:32 PM David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

> I have one hidden KCM already.
>
> It was requested I make the super awesome qtquicksettings module hidden.
> It uses a little hack to make it findable in krunner, but not listed
> in system settings by parenting to a group, then hiding that group.
>
> I  have no objections to things that are only useful to devs being in
> a hidden KCM.
>
> However, I fear it will end up becoming some sort of hidden
> plasma-tweaks, where we dump general aesthetic/behaviour settings in
> here which we think are too niche for the main UI.
> I don't want that to happen.

Mhhh. Very valid concern. I am not sure we can really prevent this
from happening. Well, we can, by not putting useful things in there,
but that does raise the question of how to tell what is useful. And
for that I don't have an answer.
Perhaps it would just need deciding on a case-by-case basis?

Let's use drkonqi as example, it seems to have:

SkipIntroduction: disables the first page of the report dialog [1] and
goes right to the meat of reporting
ShowDebugButton: always displays the debug button to launch external
(hardcoded) debuggers [2] (i.e. launches gdb in a konsole so you can
manually play with it)
ShowOnlyBacktrace: instead of showing the "yadyayda app crashed" tab
by default it shows the backtrace by default

All of these seem perfectly handy to me, and would be to probably
anyone who knows a thing or two about debugging. At the same time none
of them are particularly useful to a user. As Eike says topically they
kinda go with kdebugsettings but then really they don't. By name,
sure, but kdebugsettings is solely controlling qcdebug output. It has
no tie-in with drkonqi or crash reporting, so I can understand why
Kai's proposal to add drkonqi options there was turned down. So we
could have a drkonqi KCM, but as mentioned its usefulness to the user
is more than questionable and having it visible by default is meh at
best. Plus having a KCM for 3 checkboxes ...

Would those three drkonqi options belong in a dev KCM or not? They are
essentially behavior tweaks that dont fit anywhere else.

[1] https://i.imgur.com/NPqVIr9.png
[2] https://i.imgur.com/0X7bsvx.png

HS