D22034: Introduce ContainmentLayoutManager QML plugin

Marco Martin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jul 18 11:11:12 BST 2019

mart added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> davidedmundson wrote in abstractlayoutmanager.h:44
> I don't fully understand the split between AbstractLayoutManager and GridLayoutManager when AbstractLayoutManager effectively enforces a grid by having cell sizes.

in the end it needed cell sizes to be directly exposed to qml.
tough the idea was to leave space for eventual future different layouts like linear, or still grid but with a different strategy and so on

> davidedmundson wrote in itemcontainer.cpp:370
> why?

I may be wrong but I think if one would do
AppletsLayout {

  QtObject {}

}

that internal object wouldn't be parented and stay dangling otherwise?

> davidedmundson wrote in itemcontainer.cpp:438
> why?
>
> We're above the minimum size, the user could have resized it smaller than this

This may be not necessary, depends the behavior we want.
The test i did was with the system monitor, having it auto resize when one adds a sensor seemed to look better...
It depends from usability pov, if instead by design we say the size the user manually put is more important and should be maintained if possible, then this part would go.

> davidedmundson wrote in BasicResizeHandle.qml:26
> ResizeHandle2?

dead code of old prototypes

> davidedmundson wrote in resizehandle.cpp:42
> we monitor the direct parent, but ConfigOverlay could be anywhere on the ancestory tree.

This will catch it if the overlay is an ancestor..
what it doesn't support is dynamic parent changes somewhere in the tree higher than direct parent.

monitoring every parent of parents and dynamically rebuilding the connection chain when one of them change, seems a bit.. overkill?
not sure how to do this in another way...

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace