D22333: Move Solid::Device::listFromQuery calls to a separate thread

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jul 11 15:29:19 BST 2019

bruns added a comment.

  In D22333#494152 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22333#494152>, @apol wrote:

  > In D22333#494146 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22333#494146>, @bruns wrote:
  >
  > > Why not just a singleshot timer from the constructor? Avoids any initial blocking ...
  >

  > Initial, but doesn't fix the problem. We could potentially delay this few seconds instead, but we'd still be getting an odd ~500ms freeze randomly
  >  Or we can just decide to move blocking or heavy algorithms to separate threads and enjoy our multicore computers and a fluid experience.

  Where does the blocking happen? How do you guarantee none of the later call block? Large parts of the code are executed in the main thread anyway, only the initial list creation happens in a worker thread.

  Also, if this is a generic problem, why only fix it in the dataengines, not in Solid itself?

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace