D22191: Implement syncing of theme preferences between SDDM and Plasma

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jul 3 17:38:42 BST 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  In D22191#489958 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22191#489958>, @filipf wrote:

  > In D22191#489925 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22191#489925>, @ndavis wrote:
  >
  > > In D22191#489915 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22191#489915>, @GB_2 wrote:
  > >
  > > > I think then you would have to type in your password every time you change a setting.
  > >

  > > Would you really? There couldn't be a service running with the right permissions that automatically synchronizes settings on logout/user switch/shutdown/when a change is detected? It seems like it should be possible, but I don't know what the security implications would be.
  >

  > It's copying to sddm owned directories so it does need root permissions... something would have to be worked out, not sure what the possibilities are though. Also this would have to be enabled by default solely for single user systems, otherwise you run the risk of the login screen always changing appearance based on the user that was last logged in.

  I think it could be done with a systemd service, but I don't think we want to start directly depending on systemd. Maybe we could just keep this patch like it is and write separate systemd service file for people to download from https://invent.kde.org/kde/kde-vdg-extras until we have a more user friendly solution.

REPOSITORY
  R123 SDDM Configuration Panel (KCM)