D18621: Add again a button to manually scan for wireless networks

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jan 30 18:29:31 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D18621#402540 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18621#402540>, @jgrulich wrote:

  > I don't think this should be added again, there is no reason to. Plasma-nm will do an initial scan once the applet is opened so you get the new networks immediately. This has been discussed with NetworkManager developers and everyone has to do now periodic scanning in some sane interval. Gnome does the some.

  In my opinion, this sort of thing is a "help the user feel in control" issue. We had the same sort of conversations in Discover back when it didn't have a manual "refresh updates" button. People constantly complained and we had to explain over and over again that it automatically fetches when launched and periodically after that. Didn't matter; people wanted the button anyway, and periodically managed to get themselves into situations where Discover would get wedged and a button would actually be nice. Eventually we relented and added the button and now people are happy. I think the same thing may be going on here and user confidence in the software would benefit. People would feel more in control with a button they can click on when it's not doing what they expect or not finding their network fast enough.

REPOSITORY
  R116 Plasma Network Management Applet