D18078: [plasma-workspace-wallpapers] Improve wallpaper selection

Krešimir Čohar noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jan 28 11:00:29 GMT 2019

rooty added a comment.

  In D18078#401227 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18078#401227>, @jriddell wrote:

  > Note we cannot ship files under the Pexels License  or Unsplash licence as they are non-free and have restrictions.
  >
  > We can ship files in the public domain as they are unrestricted.

  Actually, they have restrictions but they //are// free (public domain equivalent).

  The Unsplash license is CC0 (public domain) with only //one// exception: the images are not to be used to start or advance that's a competitor of Unsplash.

  The Pexels license has more restrictions:

  - Identifiable people may not not appear in a bad light or in a way that is offensive.
  - Don't sell unaltered copies of a photo, e.g. don't sell it as a stock photo, poster, print or on a physical product without adding any value.

  -Don't imply endorsement of your product by people or brands on the image.
  -Don't redistribute or sell the photos on other stock photo or wallpaper platforms.

  If the Pexels restrictions are unacceptable then I propose we just use Unsplash only. That being said, there don't seem to be any criteria that disqualify the Unsplash license.

REPOSITORY
  R131 Plasma Wallpapers