D18078: [plasma-workspace-wallpapers] Improve wallpaper selection

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jan 24 00:32:29 GMT 2019

filipf added a comment.

  In D18078#398888 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18078#398888>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > Can you please confirm the source of these images.
  >  We need to be sure they all fall under: https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
  >
  > If not, we need to take it up with people who care about this legal stuff.

  We can. All the new wallpapers have been obtained either from Pexels or Unsplash (most of the links are in T10220#171744 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10220#171744>, but we can also provide them for the remaining ones). Both sites offer free wallpapers, with minor licensing differences.

  Pexels offers either the CC0 licence or the Pexels licence. See: https://www.pexels.com/photo-license/ and https://www.pexels.com/creative-commons-images/. Note: I have to change some licence info from CC0 to Pexels.

  Unsplash is similar, however it has one additional clause that renders its licence special - hence the unfamiliar Unsplash licence name. You can find out more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsplash#License or https://unsplash.com/license.

  From what I can tell all three licences are more lax than the CC BY-SA 4.0 the KDE licencing policy proscribes for media files. The question is are they "compatible" licences. Common sense says they should be fine, but maybe it would be good for someone with knowledge on the matter to jump in.

REPOSITORY
  R131 Plasma Wallpapers