D18419: Adjust some KCMs to implement new Appearance section layout

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 20 22:20:58 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  That's true, and we discussed this a lot in the VDG channel. The problem is that such a condition will in practice result in delaying this re-ogranization practically indefinitely.

  https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/plasma_kcm_redesign/ lists 42 KCMs that require porting (44 if you count the ones with "kinda done" in the title). That's an enormous amount of work. The 5.15 Plasma release contains one ported KCM. Say that we focus all of our resources on this and port five KCMs per plasma release, that's still delaying this for nine Plasma releases, or over three years. ...By which time, Qt 6 will have been released and probably a good chunk of our efforts will be on porting to Qt 6 rather than porting KCMs. The re-org will just never get done.

  I don't see what harm it does to implement the parts of this re-organization that don't require merging KCMs. Once all the KCMs are ported, we can do those merges at that time, right? For example probably Emoticons will be collapsed into Icons, GTK Application Style will be collapsed into Widget style, and so on. In practice I don't see how those kinds of merges would be harmed by doing this re-organization for Plasma 5.16.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop