D17975: [Notifications] Add padding to notifications

Root noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jan 8 23:31:46 GMT 2019

rooty added a comment.

  > Wouldn't it be better to somehow add padding globally?

  Not really feasible because you don't necessarily want padding everywhere (for example, Adapta does this and i think it looks unsightly)
  F6536644: adapta-popup.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6536644>
  Adding padding **//everywhere//** might involve modifying every heading and every icon, that's just not what we want to do (you don't, for instance, want padding around system settings sidebar icons which might be a side effect of what you're suggesting)

  If you limit yourself to only text/headings, then adding padding may make your GUI elements look disproportionate (the text gets padding, the icon doesn't and gets pushed up and to the left (provided the theme doesn't provide you with padding), which is what happened in some of my mockups)

  Breaking other desktop themes is unfortunate, but our primary responsibility is in my opinion to Breeze - maybe we can find a way to modify Breeze to add more padding/cushioning, but then two problems arise:

  (1) This would prevent the text from being shifted upward with a line count greater than 1 and cause **//even greater inconsistency//** in the margins (they would become very asymmetrical) - you could work around this but these workaround are probably going to be very //inelegant//
  (1) These modifications would have to be implemented in Breeze Dark, Breeze LIght and possibly even Breath (the main theme Manjaro Linux uses), and any other theme that wants to follow suit
  (3) This would also open up a couple of other very interesting questions - should other Plasma elements be modified, or should the widgets that call for them be modified? Should we rely on desktop themes to add padding to "Audio Volume" or "Status & Notifications"?

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace