D18019: [Digital Clock] Add ability to set a custom date format string

Chris Holland noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jan 8 15:41:24 GMT 2019

Zren added a comment.

  In D18019#388829 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18019#388829>, @ndavis wrote:

  > Shouldn't the documentation explain that apostrophes need to be used or is the fact that they need to be used unusual and specific to this clock widget?

  The time format docs mentions:
  http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtqml-qt.html#formatDateTime-method

  > All other input characters will be ignored. Any sequence of characters that are enclosed in single quotes will be treated as text and not be used as an expression.

  Which you can combine with QML's RichText documentation:
  http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-text.html#textFormat-prop

  The time format docs do not provide an example of using single quotes, and you'd need a person with a programmers mindset to use the escape character with the rich text docs to get the examples above.

  We could probably get away with just linking to the rich text documentation. I've been over-complicating it in Event Calendar for a while now it seems. Should the link's label be `i18n("Text Color Documentation")` or `i18n("Rich Text Documentation")`?

  -----

  In D18019#388876 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18019#388876>, @mart wrote:

  > is this the right place for it? (a text field to enter the "magic" date format letters is a very geeky ui, and i would prefer to not go there) shouldn't be a generic localization/date format setting? (and with also a graphical ui to generate this)

  The user can already change the Date Formatting globally to a specific Locale's time format (right click widget > Set Time Format...), which is limiting.

  The widget's Long Format uses a ridiculous width on the panel:
  F6536135: 2019-01-08___10-21-26.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6536135>

  While the Short Format does not display the day of the week, includes the year (which isn't useful after January) and since Canada/US puts the Month first, annoying to read since the month is represented as a number as well.
  F6536137: 2019-01-08___10-24-05.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6536137>

  Changing the global Time Format requires the user to **restart plasma** to apply and see the changes directly in the panel. Changing the global format also isn't desired since people tend to use an over simplified date format  in the panel (eg: `Tue 31` or `Jan 31`), but will still want legible timestamps everywhere else (eg: Dolphin).

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace