D19392: shannon entropy to guess monochrome icon

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Feb 28 14:33:13 GMT 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  In D19392#421903 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19392#421903>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Actually we're discussing in VDG-land whether or not this is something we should do anyway, because right now we have no way of forcing the use of a monochrome icon for a >22px size when a larger colorful version exists. Using `-symbolic` to suffix the monochrome versions would allow us to do this. Adding some VDG folks for comment.

  The problem with using `-symbolic` for all monochrome icons is that we'd have to create color icons without `-symbolic` to replace the old monochrome icons without `-symbolic`. That means we'd be effectively reworking a great deal of Breeze icons. Outside of a few instances in System Settings, Plasmashell and KWin titlebars, where we want to use color icons at small sizes, Breeze looks pretty consistent already, even with 3rd party applications. In places like the Digital Clock widget, where a monochrome icon is used when a color icon should be used, that can be fixed in breeze-icons just by making a new color icon at the appropriate size. If all of our monochrome icons had to have `-symbolic`, then we'd have to depend on 3rd party applications using `-symbolic` to keep a consistent look as well.

  In short, we'd have to create a ton of new icons just to fix an issue that mainly exists in only a few pieces of our own software if we went the route with `-symbolic`. Maybe with a future icon theme, we can plan things out better, but I don't think we should do anything that greatly changes the look of breeze-icons.

REPOSITORY
  R169 Kirigami