D18896: [plasma-nm] Refresh wifi networks as fast as possible

Jan Grulich noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 12 14:07:35 GMT 2019

jgrulich added a comment.

  In D18896#410594 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18896#410594>, @vpilo wrote:

  > In D18896#409742 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18896#409742>, @jgrulich wrote:
  >
  > > I would keep the 15s interval, everyone does 15s. Also from what I have read, every scan drops your connection for a while, which might be a problem for bad wifi drivers, where the scan can take 15+ seconds so doing this more often is not a good idea. Other thing I would change is to try to repeat the scan if it fails only for the first time (when you open the applet), then I don't think it's necessary to keep spamming NetworkManager with our requests.
  >

  > Everyone using 15 seconds for a timeout doesn't mean it's good for the users...

  I think it's reasonable enough and also as I mentioned above, wifi scanning drops your connection for a while, there is no reason to drop it more often, especially when we will have a fresh scan as soon as possible.

  Also see: https://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2016/05/16/networkmanager-and-wifi-scans/

  > Anyways, why shouldn't we be doing an attempt every 2 seconds? that's not a lot. I could do two things instead:

  I didn't mean we shouldn't be doing an attempt every 2 seconds, I meant that we should go through this retry logic only in case of initial scan, but keep it that way. Just set the interval back to 15s.

REPOSITORY
  R116 Plasma Network Management Applet