D25844: Add grouping options in Icons-only Task Manager

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Dec 10 13:40:52 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D25844#574728 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25844#574728>, @gvgeo wrote:

  > In D25844#574714 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25844#574714>, @broulik wrote:
  >
  > > So you want to be able to not group apps in IOTM, that is literally what IOTM is about, isnt it?
  >

  > I don't know what the reasoning between splitting the task managers is.
  >  But from what I understand, Icons-Only means no text.
  >  And sorting is also removed.

  Icons-Only implements the "Dock" paradigm and organizes things on the basis of apps, not windows. So the name doesn't make it clear, but the Icons-Only Task Manager is much more than just "the regular task manager without labels".

  I'm not sure of the history behind why this split is presented in the form of two different applets rather than a single one with configurable options. In the backend, they're both using the same code so this is easily possible. Personally I would like for there to be a single task manager that exposes three different modes in the config window:

  - Legacy Windows Vista and before mode (current default)
  - ^^, but without labels (Windows 10 style with grouping mode turned off)
  - macOS style Dock mode (current Icons-Only Task Manager)

  This would call for some serious discussion before implementing it though.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop