D25728: [Applet Configuration] Don't draw a full-on separator between the titlebar and window

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Dec 4 10:35:10 GMT 2019

filipf added a comment.

  In D25728#571848 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25728#571848>, @ngraham wrote:

  > But... the "Before" image looks better. :/
  >
  > Having the titlebar blend with the window kind of requires that nothing wants to be touching the titlebar, or else it just looks bad IMO. Personally my preference is to restore consistency by moving in the opposite direction by always showing a separator between what I'm calling the window's "tools area" (which consists of its titlebar + menubar if visible + toolbar if visible). That's what T10201 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10201> is all about and I had thought we had some agreement on that. If we land this patch, then there's no separator below the Tools Area for these windows, going against the goal of T10201 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10201>.

  From a visual POV I understand, we want to "finish the grid". But consistency and philosophically-wise we find ourselves in an awkward place now.

  We tell the people who don't want titlebars separators here that they should live with it, but to those who want titlebar separators in QWidgets config windows we tell that they should turn on KWin's option.

  Why I actually don't see this patch going against T10201 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10201> is that something's not a tools area if it there are no tools (or even menus) in it. It's just a titlebar.

  I take the tools area separator as proposed in the task to make sense as it's an element of internal design meant to help the structure of the whole application by singling out one of its semantic units.

  On the level of the fluidity of design it works because it doesn't separate KWin out from everything else in doing so.

  A titlebar separator doesn't do the two things just mentioned and I'd say it's is even somewhat orthogonal to the task because it's added externally with blindness to a specific app's design.

  tl;dr: for T10201 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10201> I wouldn't add a separator when we only have the titlebar.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop