Monday meeting notes for 26/8/2019

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 11:34:51 BST 2019

Kai Uwe
plasma-browser-integration:
* Threshold for controlling short videos has been increased from 5s to 8s
* Failure error message has been removed in favor of a toolbar icon with popup
* Enhanced media controls are enabled by default now
* Minor improvements and reliability fixes for tabs runner
* Planning to do a new release by end of this week
Notifications:
* Quick reply won't make it for 5.17
* Please review D23293 (want in 5.16...), D22569
Diff 23293 "[Notifications] Implement JobViewV2" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D23293
Diff 22569 "[Dialog] Apply window type after changing flags" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D22569
Plasma:
* Added DrKonqi setting to discourage bug reporting
    * For enterprises that cannot or don't want to report bugs upstream
    * Ideally, there was another mechanism to forward those to IT
automatically but that needs a broader picture, with coredump and
whatever
* KRunner doesn't autostart when crashed anymore
    * It's autostarted when invoking it nowadays
Other:
* Some improvements for Dolphin wrt slow network shares:
    * D23295 D23458 D23459 D23460
    Diff 23295 "[Tab Bar] Resolve tab icon only if visible" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23295
    Diff 23458 "Don't store view properties on network shares" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23458
    Diff 23459 "Reset progress bar text when directory loading starts"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23459
    Diff 23460 "Always periodically dispatch pending items" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23460
* Please review D23145
    Diff 23145 "[Exe Thumbnailer] Match 16 bit executables and don't
request icon types wrestool cannot handle" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D23145

Nicolas:
* I worked a bit on print-manager
* In particular on an issue where it would just say 'Forbidden' when
you want to add a printer
* Made a patch for CUPS to allow members of 'wheel' to do privileged
operations without auth prompt
* For non-wheel users fixed the auth check in print-manager, it was
interpreting the return value from CUPS wrong
    Diff 23403 "Fix authentication" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D23403
    Diff 23407 "Don't fetch server settings for preferences button"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23407
* Also made a mockup for a QML based print KCM

Leinir:
* my little bit of thing is that https://phabricator.kde.org/D21721 is
about ready for some actual feedback now :) Diff 21721 "[WIP] Bring
KNewStuffQuick to feature parity with KNewStuff(Widgets)" [Needs
Review]
* I need to rework the description and whatnot to be more than just a
pile of commit messages, and add a description of how to do the test
thing, but if anybody feels like taking it for a spin, it's an easy
thing to test by running this in the build dir (after installing it...
because framework and whatnot)
QT_LOGGING_RULES="org.kde.knewstuff*=true" ./bin/khotnewstuff-dialog
/usr/share/knsrcfiles/lookandfeel.knsrc

Arjen:
KSysGuard:
* We've been doing some work on ksysguard to make it a bit more flexible.
* d_ed posted D23287 which introduces a framework for plugins for ProcessCore.
* I posted D23342 which adds a plugin using that framework to add per
process network usage information.
* I also posted D23382 which adds a new type of memory column.
Eventually I hope to replace the main "memory" column with this one.
    Diff 23287 "Create a plugin framework for processes" [Accepted]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D23287
    Diff 23342 "Add a per-process network information plugin" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23342
    Diff 23382 "Add vmPSS to Process and display it as "total memory"
column" [Accepted] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23382
Other:
* I've been working on a gpu-accelerated charts library that I hope
can eventually be used to replace the charts in the network applet and
other places. It's currently at
https://invent.kde.org/kde/kf5quickcharts .

Roman:
* I'm working on better screens clone functionality and noticed there
were some issues in other parts. Identified the bug and fixed with
D23435 (D23428 is cleanup). Hope this was the only breaking issue and
can continue work now on the clone project.
    Diff 23435 "Emit mode-change on all relevant changes" [Accepted]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D23435
    [12:30] <sKreamer> Diff 23428 "Remove change-set null check"
[Accepted] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23428
* Then there is also D23105 which I will split up soon into small
patches to be actually merged.
    Diff 23105 "WIP: [platforms/x11] Cleanup GLX backend, revise
compositing" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D23105
* Feedback by testing or on the overall direction is still welcome.

Marco:
Plasma mobile
* this week dedicated mostly to the new homescreen/launcher for plamo
* dragging icons between the app grid, the favorites strip and the
"desktop" area managed by the new layout manager code now works
flawlwssly
* fixed some bugs in the new desktop layout code and fixed a crash,
affects plasma-desktop too
* [WIP] started implementing storing/restoring the favorites and the
icons that end up on the desktop