Unified git commit message guideline

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Aug 12 08:44:29 BST 2019

Hello Roman,

On dimanche 11 août 2019 23:52:55 CEST Roman Gilg wrote:
> [1] https://www.conventionalcommits.org

I like the idea very much, the changelog does look a bit messy indeed.
It would allow me to filter out all style, ci, and test changes, which are not
interesting to the user of the frameworks.

I'm missing a type for internal cleanups like porting away from deprecated
methods or fixing a harmless compiler warning? OTOH "chore" isn't documented
in the Angular convention so I don't know what it is. In any case, it sounds
like we need to write down our own list of types, right?

I would also like to keep the "Test Plan" field from phab even after we move
to gitlab, it pushes people to write down how they actually tested the change.

I think we should wait until after the switch to gitlab though, because it
might have some influence on this. For instance with phab I tend to prefix the
subject with the repo name so that on k-f-d we can see which framework it's
about. But that looks a bit redundant in the git history of a given repo
afterwards so if the emails from gitlab include the repo name automatically,
we shouldn't do that in the git commit log itself.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5