Notification Popup Focus

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Thu Aug 8 11:55:48 BST 2019

Hi,

I'm working on a quick reply feature for notifications where you get a
textfield inside notifications. [1] However, notifications can never get
focus. The question is: why?

I agree that notifications should never be able to steal focus but if
you explicitly click on them, what speaks against giving them focus then?

The quick reply feature is basically done but I'm stuck on this focus issue.

On X11:
- I need https://phabricator.kde.org/D22569 so the window type
Notification isn't lost after I removed the WindowDoesNotAcceptFocus flag
- A fix in KWin so it actually monitors window type changes and
re-layers them correctly. Right now the window type change seems to work
but the window stacking order gets confused and only fixes itself once I
change focus to another window where KWin will re-evaluate the layer to
put the window in.

On Wayland:
- I tested just letting notification windows get focus but then they
would immediately get focus and steal it. On Wayland it seems to give
focus to new windows unconditionally?

Any pointers, comments, possible solutions?

Cheers
Kai Uwe