D20804: RFC: Try getting the X keyboard grab multiple times

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 30 13:17:27 BST 2019

davidedmundson added a comment.

  > Arguably it won't help us with all cases because the clients would have to voluntarily participate in the protocol.

  Yes. I'm not pretending it will.

  ---

  > I wonder whether it's worth fixing this bug on X11 at all.

  There is a way to forcefully take a grab inside X internals.

  The only way this is exposed publicly is via the shortcut key XF86Ungrab

    setxkbmap -option grab:break_actions
    xdotool key XF86Ungrab

  It was meant as a dev tool so you could switch to a console to debug locks.
  Using this is a horrific idea as it introduces a keyboard shortcut to circumvent the screen locker!!

  There's no other public API, though I don't see why one couldn't be added.
  The bigger problem is that the client side has no indication that it loses it's lock which leaves it in a corrupt state when you log in.
  Adding that retroactively is the part I think is pragmatically impossible.

REPOSITORY
  R133 KScreenLocker