D20368: [Folder View] Use a more reasonable minimum cell width

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 8 00:38:05 BST 2019

ngraham created this revision.
ngraham added reviewers: hein, Plasma, VDG.
Herald added a project: Plasma.
ngraham requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  With the goal of making Folder View items' labels more legible,
  78da28e7ab7d51e46fa26788d4890b692996ad36 <https://phabricator.kde.org/R119:78da28e7ab7d51e46fa26788d4890b692996ad36> increased the minimum cell width, resulting in
  each cell being much wider when icon sizes are small.

  Ths goal was achieved, but the change went a bit too far and people have understandably
  complained about the width being too high and looking silly when the icon size is small,
  especially for items ith very short labels.

  This patch reduces the minimum width a bit to improve the situation.

  I still suspect that we may need to add a slider to control the label width just like
  the one Dolphin has, but hopefully this patch should reduce the pressure for that by
  improving the defaults.

TEST PLAN
  Smallest icon size: F6758566: Smallest size.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6758566>
  Small-medium icon size: F6758568: Small-medium size.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6758568>
  Medium icon size: F6758569: Medium size.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6758569>
  [No change for larger icon sizes]

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

BRANCH
  more-reasonable-small-icon-size-label-width (branched from Plasma/5.12)

AFFECTED FILES
  containments/desktop/package/contents/ui/FolderView.qml