How to contribute

tajames tajames at zoho.com
Sun Sep 23 20:57:41 BST 2018

Hello all, I'm looking to start contributing to Plasma Mobile, and I was pointed in this direction by your website.  I've never contributed to an open source project before, and I don't really know where to start.  I'll tell you a bit about what kind of level I'm at, then I've got some questions which you might be able to help me with. I'm a physicist by training, but I've just got a job as a software engineer off the back of some Python work I did.  The new company uses c++ and git, which I'm alright with (but I'm looking to improve).  I've never used github before.  I'm familiar with KDE as an OS, and I've done some work with the LGPL-licensed bits of Qt (both in Python and c++).  I'm best at high-level GUI things rather than low-level firmware/hardware interface things. I can't really afford the hardware I'd need to run Plasma Mobile natively (I've only just stopped being a student), so can I run it in a VM?  If so, what VM software would you recommend for KDE Neon, and what's the github link to the most up-to-date Plasma Mobile version?  Are there any common gotchas when compiling Plasma Mobile? Lastly, of course, I'm looking for a small, simple project to get started with.  Ideally, I'd like someone to look over my code when it's done and tell me what I should be doing differently - will this happen automatically as part of any pull requests I might make? Thanks, Tom