Meeting notes for 17/09/2018

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 11:34:34 BST 2018

Eike:
* [General] Various last-minute code reviews and landings of important
pending patches for 5.14 beta
* [TM] Another LibreOffice workaround: Starting a sub-app from the
LibreOffice start center will now correctly hide a pinned launcher for
the app
* [TM] Fixed reordering tasks by DND in a group popup window also
reordering top-level tasks
* [TM] Fixed a regression causing improper sorting of new startup
notifications in "allow mixing tasks and launchers" config mode (still
on phab review)
* [SysSe] Finished a patch by Harald to fix adding new UI languages in
the KCM in a fresh empty user account

Kai Uwe:
Work done:
 - Various fixes for Dolphin
 -- Unsuccessful fix for Dolphin creating thumbnails for certain files
twice (e.g. the first visible item)
 -- Update "Free space info" less frequently
 --- Checks every 10 seconds, regardless of whether the window is
active or whether it's a remote drive
 --- causes disks to spin up repeatedly, network activity, CPU wakeups, etc
 --- Please check out D15506 D15507 D15508 (especially sitter)
 Diff 15506 "RFC: [StatusBarSpaceInfo] Only update when window is
active" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D15506
 Diff 15507 "[MountPointObserverCache] Update remote and slow mounts
less frequently" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D15507
 Diff 15508 "Update disk space info on refresh" [Accepted]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D15508
 - Added various KCM shortcuts to runner config
 -- Spellcheck runner → Spellchecking KCM, Webshortcuts runner →
Webshortcuts KCM
 - Made libdbusmenu-qt less chatty (categorized logging)
 - Solid uses device label also for loop devices (e.g. mounted ISO
file will show the CD's label now instead of the ISO filename)
 - Translation fix for plasma-browser-integration (reminder didn't
have Messages.sh)
 - Fixed breakage in Breeze widget style not detecting QtQuick
controls (e.g. ComboBox popup was unstyled and unreadable again)
 Work todo:
 - Upload new plasma-browser-integration version
 - Figure out why my LibreOffice Writer isn't properly identified in
Task Manager
 - Fix (work around) Ark opening ODT and DOCX files (that are
technically archives but not from a user's POV) as archives
 - Plasma 5.14 Beta bug squashing, triaging, fallout (the breeze
breakage was one of them)

David:
* Identified and "fixed" the recurrent discover crash report, which
was caused by an ABI break. Fortuntely on nothing released.
* I have some wayland patches that fix the behaviour of the
configure->ack requests. So if you resize a window to the left it'll
now be in sync. The old code just updated whenever we had a new
buffer.
Also fixed maximise effects on wayland (which is broke as the order of
resizing is different to X)
* I've been testing the firefox wayland which has issues on kwin (have
git latest firefox, and latest gtk and tonnes of printfs) we have two
major issues. One is now resolved, other I still have to identify.
* I've got some patches that chip away at ksmserver. My longterm goal
is to turn that into /just/ an XSessionManager and nothing else.

Roman:
What I did since last week:
-------------------------
* Refactoring of touch interface usage in KWayland: D15443
  Diff 15443 "[server] Allow multiple touch interfaces per client"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D15443
* Worked on drag support in KWayland and KWin D15464 D15466
  Diff 15464 "[server] Touch drag support" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D15464
  Diff 15466 "Add Wayland touch drag and drop support" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D15466
* Some small code improvements to KWin.
* Wayland socket argument to startplasmacompositor script: D15512
  Diff 15512 "[startplasmacompositor] Add Wayland socket argument"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D15512
* InputRedirection refactoring.
----------------------
What I want to do now:
----------------------
* Finish patch for InputRedirection refactoring.
* I postponed my last Xwl dnd patch, because I wanted to first rework
the InputRedirection (and there is one last bug with Chrome). But I
will upload it this week in any case since I'm not around next week
all the time.
-------------------
Questions/Problems:
-------------------
* I need some diffs getting reviewed. Some of them are pretty small:
D15502, D15519
  Diff 15502 "Float position values in drag input filter" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D15502
 Diff 15519 "Privatize variables in InputDeviceHandler" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D15519
* Wayland socket arguemnt in D15512: I would like to get this merged.
It already improved my workflow drastically when testing a full
Wayland session because I can have the other one still running. The
argument by fvogt KWin should just take a next free socket is valid I
believe, but I don't see why we can't have both. In particular because
the one solution with the argument is available now / already
supported by KWin and the other
  Diff 15512 "[startplasmacompositor] Add Wayland socket argument"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D15512
   needs some work to be done first.
* In regards to InputRedirection refactoring: What I noticed was that
it's not well defined what surface we are on, the update() functions
in PointerInputRedirection and TouchInputRedirection are rather crude.
I want to split out the surface the focus is on and the surface the
pointer is on to use it in drags as well.