D15410: Handle clients which change window metadata during early startup

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Sep 10 19:25:22 BST 2018

hein added a comment.

  In D15410#323613 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15410#323613>, @graesslin wrote:

  > I just want to point out that such applications are not ICCCM compliant: This property must be present when the window leaves the Withdrawn state and may be changed only while the window is in the Withdrawn state. Window managers may examine the property only when they start up and when the window leaves the Withdrawn state, but there should be no need for a client to change its state dynamically.
  >
  > KWin doesn't support updates to wm_class and e.g. window rules are broken.

  Preaching to the choir I'm afraid :(. I consider this bad application behavior and called it a concession to badly written apps on Bugzilla.

  Unfortunately the upstream bug report has been ignored however, and there's a large installed base as this is long-standing LibreOffice behavior. I am eventually considering a backport to the LTS branch of this.

  Also, on Wayland the appid can change at runtime in theory (and people hooked this up in Mutter and Weston, so I guess it's been encountered), and the affected code is mostly generic over the two windowing systems.

  Ah well. At least this takes the shape of a generic "allow hiding tasks matching some id" feature. It's in practice only needed to handle this app misbehavior, but at least it's not brittle weird code to catch ckass changes explicitly.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace