Monday meeting notes for 2018-09-03 (week 36)

Roman Gilg subdiff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 13:10:17 BST 2018

Marco:

----- DONE -----
Kirigami:
* irc and matrix channels, all bridged together (done by Bhushan)
* start translations for kirigami gallery in its standalone repo
* bugfix: refine when icons get forced to monochrome and when not, should
fix mobile issues on some apps getting colored icons forced to black
* bugfix: FormLayout works better on small screen/mobile: fixed a
touchscreen issue and loads directly in single column mode on narrow screens
* bugfix: context drawer closes also when the action pushes a new page
* bugfix: remove hardcoded background rectangle from the whole app
* bugfix: fix holes in menus on Material style
* bugfix: fixed a couple of issues in the collapsible global drawer
* feature: ActionToolBar supports actions that are always hidden in the menu
* support disabled actions on the 3 main action buttons in mobile mode
* support for submenus on the 3 main action buttons in mobile mode
* mentoring a new guy (Dimitris) to some junor job in kirigami

Plasma Virtual Desktop:
* fix kwin to make old virtual desktop autotests work
* add a bunch of new autotests for the new vds

Multilevel KCMs:
* added an hack to keep old systemsettings work on a new framework

----- PLAN -----
Multilevel KCMs:
* difficulty/for this week: due to the fact we can't write on internal qml
contexts, the applicationwindow can't be used, multilevel api needs to be
in kcm, tough is fine as gives better abstraction

----- Q&A -----
(Kai Uwe) "support for submenus on the 3 main action buttons in mobile
mode" what'S that? so yoju can click one of those floating buttons and get
a menu?
(Marco) in mobile mode you have the big round button att he bottom. so
yeah, you can in theory get a menu

Kai Uwe:

----- DONE -----
* Investigated and fixed a ton of KIO/Gvfs/SMB-related issues
  * Now finds "gvfsd" mounts rather than just the /run/... parent directory
of those
  * Fixed "disk full" error when trying to copy files onto gvfs-mounted smb
share (e.g. LibreOffice)
  * Fixed "cannot change permission" warning when trying to copy files onto
gvfs-mounted smb share
  * Found that kioexecd only monitors for file changes to re-upload them,
misses delete-and-recreate cycle, leading to data loss in LibreOffice
  * KSambaShare accepts spaces in ACL host names now, fixes setting
permissions and guest access on "Share" tab
* Removed HTML thumbnailer
  * QtWebEngine cannot render to QPixmap and using WebKit or other
unmaintained lib is a security risk
* Fixed KWin using i18n before qApp construction (now asserts in ki18n)

----- PLAN -----
* More blockage/freeze fixes in KIO
  * Quite frustrating, just clicking a folder results in eight(!)
succeeding blocking calls (e.g. QFileInfo creation) in various libraries
and classes
* Folder View fixes

----- Q&A -----
(Roman) What's your overall impression working with the [KIO] code? Is it
in fine conditions or are there some big issues?
(Kai Uwe) when I enter a directory there's eight blocking file system calls
all over the place. many of the APIs are "innocently synchronous". they
look fine but break apart when that "local file" is some remote mounted
location
(Roman) so overall impression not so good?
(Kai Uwe) it's a bit overengineeded and convoluted, and oooold :) and it's
all built around the assumption that local files are always fine and fast.
which is fine-ish in a KIO world where remote stuff is out of process using
Kio job but with fuse and the like it's horrible

Eike:

----- DONE -----
* Getting married

----- PLAN -----
* I expect to start responding to Phabricator things tomorrow
* And then just fix pressing bugs
* And then figure out what's next on the plate (maybe virtual desktop
stuff?)

----- Q&A -----
(Eike) you need to catch me up on the activities discussion you had at
Akademy or are notes on it up on the list now?
(Roman) Don't think there are notes. But basically it was more a feedback
round people saying how they use VDs and/or Activites. Bottom line: most
people use VDs only, but some people use Activities. And if they do they
also use VDs, which was somewhat to be expected.
(David) notes are my fault, I'll try and do it.

Roman:

----- DONE -----
* Refined my Dnd work, currently testing it.
* D15225: I have separated this one from my Dnd work, because I want to get
some feedback on why this innocently looking change wasn't done in the past
already. Is there a technical problem to it I overlook? (
https://phabricator.kde.org/D15225)
* Pushed D13084 as a temporary fix for unresponsive centered TabBox on
Wayland. (https://phabricator.kde.org/D13084)
* Just uploaded D15234, which will remove the annoying constrained pointer
messages in Wayland session. (https://phabricator.kde.org/D15234)

----- PLAN -----
* Testing my Dnd branch.
* Looking into the Touchpad/Mouse KCM bugs, which piled up since the
rewrite in 5.13.

* I need some diffs getting reviewed. Some of them are pretty small:
D15072, D15074 (https://phabricator.kde.org/D15072,
https://phabricator.kde.org/D15074)

Jonathan:

* plasma 5.13.5 tomorrow, get your bug fixes in
* also I'll probably bump the Qt build-deps to 5.11 today so it's consistent