D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Oct 13 18:36:19 BST 2018

filipf added a comment.

  In D15011#342503 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011#342503>, @urohan wrote:

  > In D15011#342449 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011#342449>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Ah, I didn't even know that the Activity Switcher had a search field. I suspect that @sharvey, the fellow who did most of the work to improve the Widget Explorer's search field, didn't know either.
  > >
  > > I agree that it's not ideal for these to be different. We should make the Activity Switcher's search field be like the one in Widget Explorer. @sharvey, since you have some familiarity with that code now, would you be interested in making basically the same change there too?
  >

  > It's funny... Frankly speaking, I prefer the way search field implemented in Plasma Activity Manager. It's pretty graceful. More so, search field is needed only on demand (like search in Dolphin file manager or search in the Start Menu of Windows 10).
  >
  > Anyway, I am not yet a contributor so my words are weightless.

  Well people have been complaining that it's not obvious that there is a search field and you kind of also want to be consistent thoughout Plasma. You can't always please everyone though. I plan on releasing a fork of Kickoff without this patch to the KDE Store for the people who either just prefer the philosophy behind the old way or who will suffer a visual regression due to having very transparent or funky desktop themes. So no worries, the beauty of Plasma is that it doesn't lock you into one solution.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop