D16031: [SDDM theme] remove blur and increase UI contrast so that it's not required

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Oct 12 23:54:23 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  [Just as a reminder: this is only for the login screen; the lock screen is not being touched]

  I wish the conceptual concerns had been brought up in T9658 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T9658> before I started implementing the design changes we agreed to there. It has been open for a month and I tagged #plasma <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/plasma/> and #vdg <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/vdg/>. If there is a better way to get people's attention, I'd like to know it.

  Anyway, it's important that we remove the blur for aesthetic reasons. The blurry login screen background is the very first thing a new user sees, as well as what every existing user sees when they turn on their machine (regular people tend to turn their computers off when they're done with them, unlike us weirdos). We go our of our way to put the beautiful Plasma wallpaper there--only to ruin the effect by turning it into a dark blurry soup. User feedback has not been very positive, in contrast to the lock screen, which people love.

  We also need to preserve readability, of course, as that was the major driver for implementing the blur. This patch aims to do it without blur. I'm open to suggestions, but the blur has got to go.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

BRANCH
  arcpatch-D16031