D14949: Add option for whether to show the volume change OSD

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 3 19:15:23 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D14949#336029 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14949#336029>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > The recurring pattern that we want to avoid is having a framework where theme creators can set everything, whilst simultaneously the default theme becomes itself a theme engine itself by having a billion options.

  Is this a solvable problem?

  A theme with no options doesn't work unless the entire meta-theme is split up into dozens of individually themable components like we do with the lock and login screens, color scheme, etc. So we would need to create the concept of an "OSD theme." But note that some of these sub-themes are themselves configurable: for example you can change the size of the cursor selected by the current cursor theme, or change just the text color of the active color theme.

  If, in the interest of pushing everything onto theme creators, we decided to change this and make themes non-editable, the result would be an enormous profusion of themes that are essentially forks of the Breeze version, but with very minor subtle differences from one another. It would be a huge irritation for people who just want to change one or two little things, and searching through and managing all the themes would become a nightmare. Also, most wouldn't be maintained over time as theme creators lose interest, meaning that store.kde.org would become a graveyard of dead themes--even more than it already is today. On the other hand, if we removed the concept of color themes entirely and just kept the individual editability of the colors in the KCM, we'd be losing the ability to easily switch between color themes and download new ones.

  In all practicality, we will never have themes with no options or just options with no themes--and we probably shouldn't try to get to either place, because we wouldn't like the result. So I suspect that a firm separation between themes and options is going to prove elusive forever. It's inherently nebulous, and we will not be able to draw a hard boundary between one and the other, similar to how it's often hard to tell where one cloud ends and another one begins. We can only embrace nebulosity; attempts to nail it down will not succeed.